With Valentine’s Day fast approaching, the stress may be setting in for the procrastinators out there. To lighten the mood, we’ve decided to share ten fun facts about the love-filled holiday.
1. In 1537, England’s King Henry VII officially declared Feb. 14 the holiday of St. Valentine’s Day.
2. In the Middle Ages, young men and women drew names from a bowl to see who would be their Valentine. They would wear this name pinned onto their sleeves for one week for everyone to see. This was the origin of the expression “to wear your heart on your sleeve.”
3. The Italian city of Verona, where Shakespeare’s lovers Romeo and Juliet lived, receives about 1,000 letters addressed to Juliet every Valentine’s Day.
4. The red rose was the favorite flower of Venus, the Roman goddess of love.
5. Each year, over 50 million roses are given for Valentine’s Day worldwide.
6. In order of popularity, Valentine’s Day cards are given to teachers, children, mothers, wives, sweethearts and pets.
7. 220,000 is the average number of wedding proposals on Valentine’s Day each year.
8. Richard Cadbury created the first Valentine’s Day candy box in the 1800s.
9. About 8 billion candy hearts will be produced this year; that’s enough candy to stretch from Rome, Italy to Valentine, Arizona 20 times and back again.
10. Over $1 billion worth of chocolate is purchased for Valentine’s Day in the U.S.
Bonus Fact: Were having a sale! Starting on Monday, February 9, 2015 until Valentine’s Day, when you spend $300 or more at SecurityCamExpert.com, you’ll receive a complimentary box of chocolates. Consider it our way of showing our adoration for you; a little Valentine’s Day gift from us to you.
This offer applies to both phone orders and online orders, however, you must mention the promotion when ordering. For online orders, please use the Order Comments box to note the promotion. This offer applies to website pricing only, and orders of at least $300 or more. This offer may not be combined with other offers; limit one per customer. Offer valid February 9-14, 2015.
Which facts were surprising to you? Do you have any facts to share? You can reach us on our social networks – Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and Pinterest. And be sure to act fast – our special offer ends on Valentine’s Day!