Going away for the holidays? Be sure your home is safe and secure while you’re away. Follow these home security tips to minimize your chances of being targeted by thieves.
- Do you have a neighborhood watch group? Inform them of your vacation and enlist their help to keep an extra watchful eye out for suspicious behavior. If you don’t have a formal group, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to periodically check up on your home.
- Remember that unchecked mail is often a red flag. If possible, stop mail and/or newspaper delivery while you’re away. Or, if you’re having someone check up on your home, they can pick up any packages, newspapers, or mail so that it does not accumulate.
- Make sure that any possible entry way is locked and secured. If weaknesses exist, such as broken locks or cracked doors or windows, repair those before departure. Reinforce any sliding doors and be sure that all windows are locked, even second story windows.
- Don’t leave your valuables in plain sight. Not just your expensive jewelry or watches, but your devices like your laptops or flat screen TVs. Burglars will often ‘case the joint’ to see if it is worthwhile, so be sure to close your blinds or drapes to conceal what’s inside your home.
- Make it look like you never left. Use automatic light timers for your holiday lights and/or indoor lights and keep a car in the driveway. This will make it appear that you are still home.
- As tempting as it is to update your social media, this is an easy way for burglars to keep track of your every move. If you must update, keep it vague so people don’t know when or how long you’re gone.
Another way to secure your home is to install surveillance cameras. You can keep an eye on your property in real time with a high quality security camera system from SecurityCamExpert.com. Browse our selection of security cameras and surveillance equipment online, or call 1-888-203-6294 to speak with a representative directly. Don’t forget to ask about our installation services, too!
Connect with us on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, and Pinterest for news, updates, and more!
Home Security Tips For The Holidays & Every Day
Will you be travelling for the holidays? Make sure your home is safe with these home security tips.